ESCAPES, CATALYSTS AND FILTERS ANTIPARTICLES
CARWAYS advises you on the function of the exhaust pipe of your car which is not at all negligible. The functions of the exhaust pipe include reducing the noise, the speed of the exhaust gases, the temperature and the emission of pollutants, as well as contributing to the improvement of the overall performance of the engine.
The system is subject to severe tests: frequent and high temperature changes, internal corrosion due to the acidity of the gaseous residues, external corrosion by water and salt ... for this reason it must be the object of particular attention.
It is also recommended that you regularly check the condition of the tires, washers or springs that maintain the exhaust pipe. Come to CARWAYS and let us advise you.
When should I change the exhaust?
As a general rule, it is said that the average life of a car muffler is around 80,000 km, except when it remains immobilized for a long time or is used too often in short journeys.
In the first case, it will be necessary to change the exhaust pipe before due to the accumulated humidity, which will cause a harmful corrosion in the exhaust pipe. Something similar happens with short trips, less than 10 minutes, during which the exhaust line is not heated enough to evaporate all the accumulated water.
The need to change the exhaust pipe is also suggested by a series of indicators that everyone can perceive, including the sound of metallic knocks coming from the ground - a clear indication that the pieces are desoldering and moving , an unjustified increase in fuel consumption or an increasing noise when accelerating.
What does CARWAYS offer you?
Does your car make noise when starting? Is the smoke from your exhaust pipe more dense and darker than usual? It's a signal! The time has come to control the exhaust pipe of your car. At CARWAYS, our specialists will offer you:
- A free diagnosis of your exhaust pipe
- Lambda probe control
- Some products adapted to your needs if you have to change your exhaust pipe
"A timely diagnosis in CARWAYS will save you a lot of money"
For a long time, cars have included a catalyst just before the exhaust pipe. It is one of the reasons why we have to use unleaded gasoline.
The engine of a car produces many toxic gases and pollutants. The task of the catalyst is to convert them to other harmless gases before they are emitted into the atmosphere through the exhaust pipe.
What gases is it?
- Hydrocarbons: They come from gasoline that has not been totally burned in the combustion engine. They are substances that can cause respiratory problems and in some cases (aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzene or toluene) carcinogenic.
- Nitrogen oxides (NOx): They are caused by the combination of nitrogen and oxygen in the air at the high temperatures at which combustion takes place. They are the cause of environmental problems such as smog, acid rain or the destruction of the ozone layer
- Carbon monoxide (CO): Everyone talks about carbon dioxide, the greenhouse effect and how dangerous it is but, in general, people forget about carbon monoxide. It is a very dangerous gas because it binds to the iron of hemoglobin much stronger than oxygen. Red blood cells do not transport oxygen from the cell and cause suffocation and, if the amount of CO is high or prolonged exposure, death.
Filters antiparticles, FAP
The particulate filter is a device of recent use, it is mandatory in Europe since January 2010, to comply with the Euro V standards. This device is connected to the exhaust system and is designed to remove soot particles from the exhaust gases in diesel engines.
It is a filter so far unknown to many, there are different ways in its operation, which vary according to the manufacturer.
How does it work?
The particle filter is responsible for trapping the soot and then remove it, by a process called active regeneration. During this process it is possible to eliminate up to 85% of the soot and in some circumstances almost 100%.
Unlike a catalyst in which gases pass through open channels, the particulate filter, normally made by extrusion processes using cordierite or silicon carbide to obtain the oval or round shape, gases do not pass freely through of the channels, but by ceramic walls, which are porous, leaving only the soot particles retained in the channels. Thus only the gases without particles pass to the outside.
Like any filter that retains impurities, these devices must also be cleaned regularly to maintain their function.
The way to do this filter regeneration varies according to the technology used by car manufacturers.
- The main advantage of this system is the possibility of greatly reducing the amount of soot emitted into the atmosphere.
- As a new technology, only some malfunctions are detected now.
- In situations of blocked or partially blocked filter, it is recommended to clean it in order not to damage the particulate filter prematurely in the exhaust system and also an increase in consumption. Avoiding expensive filter repair in turn.
"When passion becomes service" CARWAYS